Welcome to my first.... and who knows.... possibly only blog. I feel it's important to share this journey I'm on right now.... having been recently diagnosed with Lyme Disease, and seeking true healing. It is appalling how many people take years to get a diagnosis, and spend their life savings in the process of reclaiming their health, once they finally figure out how to do it. This information shouldn't be a secret, and doctors should be trained. Thank God for my naturopath! She gets it..... and my own research..... now I get it, too....

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 17, 2010

So what's cookin'?

Good morning....

The last couple of days have been spent in a variety of activities in some really gorgeous weather, and during that time I have been increasing my Salt/C intake. I am now up to taking 10 grams of each, per day. I start when I get up in the morning (generally around 8 am) and take two grams of each every 3 hours (8 am, 11 am, 2 pm, 5 pm, 8 pm.). The recommended dosage is 8 - 12 grams of each per day. I've been wondering when some monster-herx will ambush me, but so far so good. Some soreness, for sure, but nothing of gigantic proportions, at least not in the past week. I have learned with lyme bacteria(s) that these things ebb and flow, and I just have to roll with it. Right now my pain levels are really manageable, and I am very grateful for that. I have a full day planned today with my "little sister", and will be able to enjoy hanging out with her.

I had a lymphatic massage session with Cindy yesterday, also, as it's critical to de-toxing that the lymph fluids keep moving.

I realized last night, as I was busy chopping vegetables in the kitchen, that my refined eating habits are turning me into a cook! This is a major revelation, being that I really have never enjoyed cooking, nor have I been particularly good at it. (I can hear my daughter laughing as she reads this....). When I do cook it's pretty basic stuff; nothing too fancy. I'm really big on potlucks where everyone brings something. Definately not the Martha Stewart 8-course meal that takes 3 days to prepare kind of person.

But what I'm realizing is that as I feel better and have more energy, and as I have refined my food choices down to clean, organic foods only (except for the rare restaurant splurge where I do the best I can with what I can find), that I am actually learning to LOVE a much bigger variety of fresh veggies, and more simple flavors. This has been helped by the beautiful bags of food I get weekly from our local organic farm. They're so gorgeous you can't help but admire each leek, each potato, each mushroom, each cluster of broccoli rabe..... and that inspires me to not want to waste any of it, and to do something really special with it.

My favorite is soup. Soups are the one thing I've always kind of liked to make. Lately I just can't get enough of potato leek soup with some type of mushrooms in it (generally portabella), greens (collard, kale, spinach), a few spices (ginger, cumin, garlic), a little coconut milk, and sometimes spiked a little with some of Imagine brand's organic soup puree, such as acorn squash/mango. First I saute the leeks, mushrooms and spices in coconut oil, then gradually add everything else in (with water, too) and cook for 30 - 45 minutes, depending upon what's in it. And of course, season with sea salt (un-iodized). I never make soup the same way twice.... it's more about what's on hand and/or what I'm in the mood for. (Don't tell Erick I slipped some mango into last night's soup - he'd rather not know about that!!).

Coconut oil is a wondrous thing. It can safely be used at higher heats than most other oils, which makes it good for saute-ing onions and things. It also gives a little boost to the thyroid. It's important to buy a good brand. Most of the coconuts imported to the US are soaked in formaldehyde (as a preservative I guess). You want to purchase coconut products that are processed where they were harvested, by companies using healthy practices. I shop for stuff like that at www.mercola.com, as Dr. Mercola is pretty picky about what he supports and sells....he is all about optimal health. It's a very informative website and one of the few e-newsletters I actually like to get. You can also get Himalayan salt from them.

It's too soon to say whether or not I will ever end up with a true passion for cooking, but I find it hopeful that I no longer dread going into the kitchen.... that's a miraculous step in the right direction!

I'm off to experience the day....

Sukie

No comments:

Post a Comment