Welcome to my first.... and who knows.... possibly only blog. I feel it's important to share this journey I'm on right now.... having been recently diagnosed with Lyme Disease, and seeking true healing. It is appalling how many people take years to get a diagnosis, and spend their life savings in the process of reclaiming their health, once they finally figure out how to do it. This information shouldn't be a secret, and doctors should be trained. Thank God for my naturopath! She gets it..... and my own research..... now I get it, too....

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Life is Good/Incredible Edibles

I've been lagging a bit on the ol' blog, so be prepared for a lot more info today....

Spring is an amazing time here on Whidbey Island.... suddenly the yard is full of bunnies, the eagles are back on their nests and soaring in circles over our house, the rhododendrens are blooming in a massive riot of glorious color, the ornamental cherries, apples and plums are bursting with huge gobs of white and pink blossoms, and the tulips are simply stunning and vibrant, inviting closer examination of their mandala interiors. The red alder trees, which look like a bunch of dead sticks all winter, suddenly leaf out with bright, spring-green foliage, and the gray whales are cruising all around the island looking for their favorite appetizers just offshore.

The local orca pods are out and about in the Puget Sound and pass by this way from time to time, but this year the transient orcas (non-locals) are hanging around. Orcas are my favorite animals (I've had several "close encounters" with them and vivid dreams, and consider them my totem animals), and last week I got to watch a pod of them splashing around in Penn Cove. Native American author Ed McGaa Rainbow Tribe(who contributed a chapter a few years ago to my book, The Ways of Spirit: 30 Visionaries Share Philosophies, Paths and Practices), honored me by naming me "orca spirit woman" (hogan wakan winagi win). I just LOVE that feeling of kinship!

So spring has sprung and life is good. Economics are still challenging for most everyone, of course, and the earthquakes and volcanoes are doing their part to shake humanity awake. A good friend of mine back in California (whose house sits right on top of the San Andreas Fault) advised me not to move to the Puget Sound.... "You'll be right in the 'ring of fire'", she advised. "There are volcanoes all around you!" I had a good laugh at that, especially given the longitude and latitude of her own particular piece of property. It's true, we could be engulfed by something any minute. Whidbey is also covered with tsunami-warning signs. I haven't seen a place yet that wasn't ripe for a natural disaster. I choose not to "go there", and strive to stay in that place of balance and harmony within. More than ever, it seems these times on planet earth are about living in, and appreciating, the moment. Re-assessing our priorities and living with hearts and minds open, fearlessly. As Ram Dass said, "Be here now." I am so blessed to have a life filled with beautiful, giving, loving people, and a sweet place to live that supports the lifestyle of my choosing. We don't make anywhere NEAR the money here that we made in Cali, but you know what....? We have also found we can live on a lot less and be perfectly happy - delighted, actually - with our lives. We love being a part of a thriving community that looks out for one another and practices gratitude. Erick and I consciously give thanks every day for all of the abundance and joy that blesses our everyday existence. I repeat: Life is good.

That being said, let's check in on the basics, here..... Living with lyme disease and heavy metal toxicity isn't the biggest picnic in the world, but I accept it and do my best to go with the flow, becoming healthier and more educated in the process. I'm at an intake of 10-12 each salt capsules and C tablets a day. I definately have my ups and downs in terms of joint pain, and my vision goes from blurry to blurrier some days. Not just my near vision for which I need reading glasses, but my distance vision, which was perfect until a couple of years ago. My energy levels have definately gone UP since beginning this protocol. In addition to the salt/C, I am on homeopathics for lyme, and an immune system revitalizer, along with enzymes, probiotics, magnesium, B's, D, and a few other things thrown in for good measure. But I really feel the salt/C has a lot to do with my improved energy, for reasons I cannot really articulate, except that I feel like my immune system must be feeling like it's getting much more support all the way around.

So with the energy up, it's easier to handle those moments when the joints are SO sore that I have a hard time walking properly, as well as climbing stairs. Usually aspirin will take the edge off enough that I can work with this, but occasionally I'll have a day, or part of a day, where my hip joints are so sore I just can't walk well (and I sure as heck can't bend my knees to get down on the floor, or into the bathtub). A structural therapist pointed out to me one day that I was not walking with the correct gait - I was walking a bit side-to-side. I had been unaware of how much I was favoring my sore hip joints until she told me that. She also added that people in pain do tend to walk that way, and then next thing they know, they are having hip replacement surgery. Her words got my attention, and now I work hard to walk correctly, even when it hurts.

Sometimes I have a few days in a row where pain is almost non-existent, and my energy is super high. Those are the days I feel like I'm getting back to myself. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, even though it will be quite awhile yet before I am there. Sometimes I wonder why I am not herxing more than I seem to be, and then the next day BOOM, and I am reminded that herxes can come and go rather mysteriously, sometimes lasting a couple of hours and sometimes a couple of days. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between a herx and a "lyme flare", when the bacteria find something that nourishes them (like when too many carbs or sugars are consumed), which causes them to have a growth spurt. Those can be extremely painful, too. But the herxes seem a little more heavy-duty, as a rule.

Anyhow, back to the food aspect of the blog... Spring has brought some awesome edibles to our three acres. We have an abundance of wild nettles that are ready for harvesting now, and horsetail, which is just starting to shoot up. Many people will tell you that nettles and horsetail are "pests" and "noxious weeds", etc. But once you understand the medicinal values of these plants, they take on a new light. My amazing neighbor, Karen, is a master herbalist. She owns a business, Sweet Sisters, that features bodycare products all made in her kitchen from herbs, essential oils, and other healthy ingredients (her website is almost done; I'll include it here when it's "up"). Karen has instructed me in how to prepare nettles for soups and teas, and horsetail for infusions/teas.

Nettles are also known as "stinging" nettles, and there is a good reason for this: they are covered with little "hairs" that if rubbed against, will cause that area of one's skin to sting and burn for several hours afterward. I've encountered nettles twice in that way, and now have a healthy respect for them. However, when the top third of the plant is harvested in the spring (while wearing gloves!), it can be rolled between the palms to loosen the "stingers" and put into soups, or dried and used for infusions and teas. Once cooked, the stingers won't hurt. The horsetail is simply dried and then crushed for infusions and teas. This is covered well on several websites: just search on "harvesting horsetail" or something similar.

Here is a blurb on nettles by Denise Reynolds, RD:
Nettle (Urtica dioica) has recently become a popular treatment for allergies based on a small study found in the July issue of the Phytotherapy Research journal. Nettle is an herb commonly found in the damp areas of Europe and North America. The roots, leaves, and seeds are all said to have health benefits. When infused in boiling water, the roots and leaves make tea.

The recent study shows that the nettle extract inhibits several key inflammatory events that cause the symptoms of seasonal allergies. Histamines in the herb can reduce the body’s response to pollen and other allergens.

The study appears to confirm results found in an older study which used a freeze-dried preparation of the nettle herb in individuals with allergic rhinitis. After one week of therapy, the herbal treatment was found to reduce symptoms.

Stinging Nettles is a common plant that has been used medicinally throughout history. Caesar’s Roman troops are thought to have brought nettle from England and used the spines for warmth. Touching the stingers on the nettle plant causes an allergic reaction, probably due to the formic acid found in the stingers which initiates a localized histamine release, thus producing a burning sensation.

In Europe, it was used as a spring tonic, a treatment for scurvy, as a diuretic, and a treatment for joint pain. Nettle is rich in Vitamin C and the antioxidants beta-carotene and vitamin E. It is also high in chlorophyll, iron, potassium, magnesium, chromium, and zinc.

Other possible health benefits for nettle include anti-inflammatory effects, relief of benign prostatic hyperplasia and urinary tract infections, and the lowering of blood pressure and blood sugar. Nettle tea also has a mild laxative effect, which could be useful for the treatment of constipation.

Stinging nettle is available as a dried leaf, extract, capsules and as a root tincture. Typical dosage is 600 mg dried herb or 2-4 ml per day of fluid extract in divided doses. To make a tea, prepare 2/3 cup of boiling water over 3 to 4 teaspoons of dried leaves or root and steep for 3-5 minutes.

As a side effect, it may occasionally cause mild gastrointestinal irritation when taken internally. It may also cause a rash with topical use. It is not recommended for use in pregnancy, as studies have indicated that it may alter the menstrual cycle and contribute to miscarriage. It has also not been established as safe for children to use.

Because stinging nettle can affect the blood’s ability to clot, it could interfere with blood-thinners such as Coumadin, Plavix and aspirin. It should also not be used with prescription medications for high blood pressure or diabetes. Always discuss all non-prescription treatments with your primary care physician.


And on Horsetail, from www.liveandfeel.com (visit this website for much more on how to prepare and use horsetail):
Horsetail contains 5-7% silicic acid, nicotine, palustrine, palustridine, phytosterol, beta-sitosterol, malic acid, vitamin C, volatile oil, potassium salts etc. The active components from horsetail have antimicrobial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory effects; they preserve eyesight and stimulate blood flow.

So today I am going to go out and harvest some nettles. Tonight I will try making a nettle soup and will let you know how that turns out. I'll probably throw in a few mushrooms, some garlic, and maybe that last leek in the fridge. I will wait until Erick has happily consumed an entire bowl before I tell him there are nettles in it, and he will say "That was amazing!" (or something like that...) ;-)

When you're a vegan, like I am, you have to be really creative in your eating, especially when your food sensitivities blood test comes up high for soy, eggs, dairy, wheat, gluten, and of course, sugar. You start to see the handwriting on the wall: LIFESTYLE CHANGE! I was already a vegetarian contemplating veganism when I had the test done, so it became easy to take that final step. But honestly, to make a lifestyle change you have to WANT to do it - really want to do it! And once you really want to, then it becomes about discovery, adventure and magic, rather than something you "have" to do. It's fun to look forward to each and every day. I am truly thankful to have a wonderful partner who sees the world through the same eyes that I do: life's an adventure!

In case anyone's wondering..... I am a vegan for two reasons: One is for health. I personally feel physically better when I don't consume animal products. I had a gall bladder attack about 12 years ago, and my naturopath at that time said, "if you stop eating meat and cheese, you'll be fine." I took that seriously, and have never had any further problems with my gall bladder (and never had the surgery to remove it, either). The other reason is that I have a really HUGE problem with factory farming. I cannot stand the way animals have become simply another "product" to be exploited for profit - just "things", with no feelings, that people can justify treating in any way they like.

Now honestly, I look at nature and I see that animals rip each other to shreds every day, so I can't honestly say that animals are not meant to be eaten. Nature seems to think otherwise. But I cannot abide it when humans choose to consciously torture calves by stuffing them into tiny cages to be fattened up, or shave off the beaks of chickens so they won't kill each other and pull out all their feathers when crammed into cages with dozens of other chickens and forced to mass produce eggs, and pigs and cows that are packed together standing in pools of their own antibiotic-and-hormone-laden excrement, which is then fed into the local rivers and streams. Sorry, I know this is graphic, but come on, let's face it.... this is the reality of millions of animals every day. Small family farms are now a rarity - while factory farms are THE reality. I recently had someone tell me "I can't afford to buy "clean" meat humanely raised on a family farm, or organic veggies - too expensive." I'm thinking, how can we afford NOT to? We can spend the money up front and need less medical attention down the road because we are so darn healthy, or we can buy cheap, horrible, adulterated food that will ensure that our medical bills will pile up in the future.....

Many years ago I read Mad Cowboy by Howard Lyman and that really put me over the edge. This man was raised in a family that had huge factory farms, and he is now a vegan. He described the horrors that happen in those kinds of places. I know most of us don't want to think about things like that. But it's happening right under our noses. Even though I think factory farming is here to stay for awhile yet, I am heartened by some of the recent legislation that is meant to ensure that farm animals receive better treatment. That is a first baby step in the right direction.

Anyway, yes... there are those who raise animals humanely for meat, and if I were going to eat meat, that is the meat I would eat. I would make sure it was completely free of hormones and antibiotics, and that the animals were respected and treated kindly. We all can choose to look into our own hearts and ask what feels like the right thing to do. For myself, I choose to love animals for who and what they are.... After having a small herd of goats for pets and completely falling in love with each one, it breaks my heart to think they are routinely eaten all around the world. And yet I also understand. I pray that each animal has a humane and respected life, for however long they have here, before making that supreme sacrifice for the humans who control whether they live comfortably or suffer.

I think once animals feel the love of a human, though, it opens up something in them and they become true and loving soul companions. I prefer to have that kind of relationships with my animal companions. I won't try to talk someone out of eating meat, though. It's a personal choice, and I can only practice what works for me.

I will occasionally eat eggs if they are from local farms who raise chickens with love, like our organic farm The Raven and Spade does. Those are some happy chickens and, as I learned a few years ago when we had chickens for pets, chickens lay eggs every day, whether they are fertilized or not. So I'm okay with eating those (although egg yolks came up high on my food sensitivities test). I probably have one or two a week, mixed into something, like my friend Lauryn's "one minute muffin"... These require 2 Tablespoons of flax meal, 1 egg or 2 egg whites, 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, and for fun you can throw in some fresh berries or nuts. She whips all this together and puts it in the microwave in a cup for about a minute and voila! We stopped using our microwave, though, so I put mine in a little muffin pan and pop it in the oven (350 degrees) for about 10 minutes, and it is a sweet little gluten-free, sugar-free snack (you can add a little honey if you like).

On the topic of food, lastly I will add that while I eat very few refined food products any more, there are a few that I'd have a hard time living without. These include Fresh Shores extra virgin Coconut Oil (organic) and Himalayan Original Crystal Salt (both available from www.mercola.com), Glutino gluten-free Flax Seed bread (one of the few gluten-free breads that actually tastes good and makes awesome toast!), Mary's Gone Crackers organic crackers, Sabra classic hummus, Mrs. Leeper's corn pastas and rice spaghetti, corn tortillas, Veganaise brand mayo (organic), and all the various, wonderful gluten-free stuff available from Bob's Red Mill. We also eat a fair amount of organic quinoa, and some brown rice, wild rice, gluten-free oatmeal and gluten-free oat bran (throw in a little honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardomom.... YESS! Sometimes I swirl in some all-fruit spread or unsweetened fruit butter).

It's such a challenge finding gluten-free stuff that is also either sugar-free, or sweetened with healthier sweeteners such as honey, agave, cassava, dates, or stevia. Speaking of dates, our grocery store sells organic medjool dates rolled in coconut that are just delicious! When I get a sugar craving, one of those puppies will take care of it quick. And speaking of Cassava, Dr. Mercola (website above) offers an incredible snack bar made from chocolate and coconut, and sweetened with cassava, that is yummy, and about the healthiest sweet snack I've ever found.

So all of this being said, the staples of a truly healthy eating plan are the fresh veggies (not canned... frozen are okay as needed), fruits, whole grains, and healthy water. Do you know that avocados are practically perfect in every way, just like Mary Poppins? ;-) I literally worship them! They are full of vitamins and healthy fats, and even have a significant protein content. Erick can't stand them - he thinks they are gross (translation: green and slimy). He once swallowed one practically whole just to "try" one (long story that has a lot to do with the movie Ground Hog Day...), but he missed the experience completely. They need to be savored with a little sea salt and maybe some cumin, in a gorgeous salad, or a veggie soft taco. HEAVEN!

I just got a water alkalinizer, which I will share more about in a future post, as this has gotten quite long enough for today. A friend who has had severe fibromyalgia for years says her pain has almost completely healed up with the water alkalinizer. Which makes so much sense, since the body needs to be in an alkaline state to thrive (the typical American diet is WAY-acidic). A new experiment awaits...

Thanks for wading through this lengthy epistle.... I made myself hungry and am off to make breakfast!

Sukie

No comments:

Post a Comment