Welcome to my first.... and who knows.... possibly only blog. I feel it's important to share this journey I'm on right now.... having been recently diagnosed with Lyme Disease, and seeking true healing. It is appalling how many people take years to get a diagnosis, and spend their life savings in the process of reclaiming their health, once they finally figure out how to do it. This information shouldn't be a secret, and doctors should be trained. Thank God for my naturopath! She gets it..... and my own research..... now I get it, too....

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Peace signs, rainbows... & aspirin

Hello to all....

I hope you're enjoying the sunshine.... it's just fabulous here this week! We're hoping it lasts, since summer came late this year. Summer always brings all kinds of visitors to the island, and our guest room is booked for the next few weeks. We love it. Of course, all the extra visitors means extra activities, so I have to remember to pace myself and to stick to my healthy eating plan as much as possible. Last weekend Erick and I spent three days up at Mt. Rainier which was GORGEOUS by the way.... I was able to adhere to my gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, soy-free, eating because we had an awesome cabin with a kitchen, and we found a co-op on the way up that had everything we needed. Also, an unexpected find in the town of Ashford was a Himalayan restaurant, the Wild Berry, that had some vegetarian options.... that was a delight to enjoy.

I'm really sore today, though. Did that small hike up part of the mountain just catch up with me today, or was it the vegetarian soy sauce I used while sauteeing portabella mushrooms last night? I do have a sensitivity to soy, and occasionally I test it out to see if I still do..... looks like I STILL DO. Anyway, thank goodness for aspirin.

I've been taking aspirin once or twice a day, almost every day, for the past 15 months. That, you may say, doesn't sound like a very good thing to do, and of course, my preference would be not to take it (i.e., not to need it). Thankfully, I've had no problems with it, as I always take it on a full stomach. It helps reduce inflammation, which is the only thing that makes me feel better some days, since I refuse to take anything stronger. I remembered the other day that once upon a time I had a large, round gold paperweight that someone gave me that was an aspirin tablet. At the time it was funny, as I had a job with lots of challenges to deal with (although I never took aspirin or any type of pain relievers). Now I wish I still had that paperweight because of the irony that aspirin has become a friend of mine. I do appreciate having it in my life, AND I look forward to the day that I don't need to take it anymore. I do have more of those days.... maybe once or twice a week I can get away without taking any. This is progress!

Soooo, off to swim in the lake this afternoon with my "little sister" Morgan. She's 8years old, and truly an awesome kid. Thankfully, I've always been able to arrange to meet with her when I'm feeling my best. I haven't had to explain to her yet about lyme disease and all that jazz..... she's at an age where butterflies and fairies fascinate her, and everything is peace signs and rainbows. I LOVE THAT!!! And I love her. As I continue to feel better all the time, I think that perhaps, just maybe, Morgan may never even need to see me in serious pain. Although at some point I will tell her what lyme is and how it's contracted, to make sure she knows how not to contract it. I also live in that world of peace signs and rainbows, and I don't want anyone to suffer pain. Idealistic and unrealistic, I know, as planet earth is not designed to be a pain-free place. But the world is a friendlier place when you make it a point to look for rainbows.....

I will close today with "namaste" ~ the spirit in me honors the spirit in you.

Sukie

No comments:

Post a Comment