Welcome to my first.... and who knows.... possibly only blog. I feel it's important to share this journey I'm on right now.... having been recently diagnosed with Lyme Disease, and seeking true healing. It is appalling how many people take years to get a diagnosis, and spend their life savings in the process of reclaiming their health, once they finally figure out how to do it. This information shouldn't be a secret, and doctors should be trained. Thank God for my naturopath! She gets it..... and my own research..... now I get it, too....

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"Under Our Skin" ... a must-see!

WOW. Powerful, powerful, POWERFUL…..!!

It’s midnight on June 7th/8th…. Erick and I just finished watching the documentary, Under Our Skin, which is about the medical travesty that is lyme disease. I feel that anyone and everyone could benefit from watching this documentary – not just because you or someone you know may have lyme, but because it has far-reaching implications for medical care and treatment in the US and beyond, and also because of the implications about the state of infectious diseases in this country. And anyone who has been told they may have not only lyme but fibromyalgia, MS, ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease), dementia, Alzheimer’s, lupus, chronic fatigue, or Parkinson’s, would also be amongst the candidates who should watch the film, as sometimes these diagnoses may be erroneous, when the true diagnosis may actually be lyme disease.

This 2008 documentary has won numerous awards in filmmaking. Besides the movie itself, there is another hour + of interviews and follow-up with some of the subjects of the film (including a strong statement by author Amy Tan), most of whom are much better after three or more years of treatment for lyme (in spite of the medical system!), although one or two subjects have also succumbed to complications of the disease. A couple of very powerful young women, Mandy and Dana (amongst many others), share their stories and allow themselves to be filmed at their worst, while on their respective roads to recovery. The DVD also includes an excellent discussion guide. There is also a great interview with the filmmaker, Andy Abrahams Wilson. He states, “What has gotten under our skin is not just a microorganism, but medicine itself.” The film goes into well-researched detail to explain this.

The info featured in the DVD all concurs with my own research. The only issue of any concern for me is that alternative treatments are not given any discussion (except a passing mention in the treatment of Dana who chooses to work with Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt, a Seattle MD and Ph.D, noted as being the top physician working today with lyme disease). Emphasis is put upon long-term antibiotics use, presumably because it is this treatment that insurance companies are denying the majority of patients who choose to pursue conventional allopathic treatment. Realizing that there is only so much time and so many issues one can focus upon in a project, I can understand why alternative treatments were not given consideration here, although I must say I hope that in the future this same filmmaker, or others, will also go down that particular rabbit hole. Many people with lyme have been transformed and relieved of symptoms through the use of such alternative treatments as the Salt/C protocol (that I’m currently using), Rife Machines, homeopathics, LED light therapy, and others.

The film was striking – riveting, actually – for me, as I relived many of my experiences with lyme through the subjects who were interviewed. I witnessed people in too much pain to move, who were (initially anyway) feeling hopeless at times about their outcomes. A year ago, I experienced several months of absolutely debilitating pain, so horrific I could barely move, accompanied by sheer exhaustion and, of course, the sadness and anger that came along with what felt like such a huge loss of control over my own life. After quite a few months of that, and along with working closely with my naturopath, Dr. Jennifer Rabinovich, I broke through my denial and did the needed research to conceptualize what I was up against and what my options were for regaining health and achieving vibrant wellness.

I’m still on that journey and probably will be for a long time, maybe for life. I am so much better now I can hardly remember how ill I was just a year ago, although I still have the Herx reactions and lyme flares that kick up periodically to remind me for a few days at a time how bad it can be. I feel SO blessed and fortunate that I followed my instinct to work with a naturopath and alternative treatments, that I was diagnosed relatively quickly compared to most people who suffer for years before they find someone who will willingly test them for lyme bacteria (due to the politics in the world of big medical profits as is explained in the film), and I have spent much less money than many folks have, on my own particular healing journey. I am leaps and bounds better than I was, and despite the occasional setback and “herxy” week, I know that I am on a path of true wellness and transformation. Much of this is due to the Salt/C protocol and other supplements I take, much has to do with my diet and avoiding foods that I am allergic and/or sensitive to and eating “clean” food, and, I believe, my very positive outlook and spiritual perspectives. These have helped me stay the course and see the bigger picture, which shows me that we on this planet have thrown ourselves and all of life out of balance, and we can either be a part of the problem or a part of the solution. It’s bigger than our own particular dis-eases….

I also feel very, very blessed that for me, the bacteria chose to bury themselves mostly in my joints and muscles, as opposed to my brain. While I've had some definite neurological symptoms (numbness, pins and needles, crawling sensations)and brain fog, as well as blurry eyesight that comes and goes, it's been relatively mild for the most part, in comparison to what many folks go through.

Quote from the discussion guide…. “Under Our Skin follows the stories of several individuals with Lyme disease and the doctors who treat them.

“In seeking to understand why incidents of Lyme disease are underreported and why patients are so often misdiagnosed or simply dismissed, Under Our Skin exposes a complex story of politics and conflicts of interest among researchers, insurance companies, and ‘Big Pharma’.

“This film provides a penetrating view into the science and politics of one of the most prevalent, misunderstood, and controversial illnesses of our time. It invites viewers into the heroic lives of people struggling with the disease and into the complex web at the intersection of science, medicine, and money.”

For more info about the DVD, please go to: www.underourskin.com.

And for those interested in knowing more about conventional AND alternative therapies, please read Insights into Lyme Disease Treatment: 13 Lyme Literate Health Care Practitioners Share Their Healing Strategies by Connie Strasheim (2009).

Lyme-related books & DVDs: www.lymebook.com.

As always, thanks so much for taking the time to read this. I am especially hoping my friends with MS, ALS, and certain strange, un-named health presentations, will make sure to be tested for lyme. The tests that have the most validity – together – are the Western Blot and the ELISA. These may be administered by allopathic or naturopathic MDs who have experience with diagnosing and treating lyme. If you run into a doctor who says lyme is rare or it’s all in your head… move on! And besides the tests themselves, there are a number of symptoms that present themselves differently in different folks that may also be taken into consideration in formulating a diagnosis.

Despite what you may have heard, lyme disease is real, and it is a silent epidemic. I believe it is very important to educate ourselves about lyme and other bacterial infections, as they are on the increase. I am living proof that these things do exist, and that it’s possible to regain and embrace a healthy, vibrant life.
Much love and many blessings to all,

Sukie

No comments:

Post a Comment